i wanna dance the tango with chance

leaving QBP felt like taking a really big chance.  i did it.  i took the chance.  my first two weeks in a strange place have been good.  i've learned a lot.  i've cried a bit (but mostly only when i hear from my friends in minnesota).  i've used a lot of patience.  i'm definitely growing.  a lot.  this is all good.  change is good.  change scares me.  that's the only reason that this place is "strange", because its new to me and i am new to it.

i was quickly reminded what the commute from ogden to salt lake is made up of.  except it's been a decade since i last did this and this time around i'm making twice as much money to do it.  so far my biggest complaint is the mess it is getting home.  the morning commute is relaxing and i enjoy podcasts or good tunes.  going home is a crap shoot.  some days its ok, take the fake holiday (pioneer day) for example.  i got home in sub 50 minutes that day!  yesterday was busy but decent.  I made it in 57 minutes and was able to get to big o in time for them to repair my tire before they closed at 6pm. 

i see a lot of good bumper stickers these days.  my favorite, so far, was just today.  "stop electing idiots"  yes, i couldn't agree more.

just today i jumped the broom and bought myself an express pass.  this will allow me to drive in the carpool lane even if i'm the only one in my car and will charge me an electronic fee if i do so.  normally this old stick in the mud would claim this to be a frivolous use of resources...but its not.  here in the great state of utah carpooling isn't the "cool" thing to do so not many of us do it.  as a result, the carpool lane is often far less used than the other 4 lanes on the freeway.  because of this the utah department of transportation has elected to allow us "solo drivers" the option of paying a toll to use the express lane and get where we are going faster, but not too fast.  once my little radio transmitter arrives in the mail, i'll be cruising the express lane when i want/need to.

in addition to my self-purchased express pass, petzl hooks me up with some really good perks.  they provide me with a uta transit pass to ride the frontrunner train, trax light rail, and public busses for FREE!  yes, FREE.  not entirely free as petzl does pay for it, but free to me.  i'm getting comfortable enough with the job and commute that i'm getting close to ready to experiment with using public transit and my bike for all or a portion of my commute.  tomorrow i am bringing my bike to work on the car and spending my hour lunch break exploring the jordan river bike path.

all in all things are going well.  i miss my people in minnesota but we all knew that would be the case....and probably will be forever.  cheers to change and people like me surviving it.   

Comments

Popular Posts